Thursday, May 5, 2011

Morals and Might?

In the wake of the death of Osama bin Laden, many people have celebrated. I have been asked repeatedly what my thoughts on this are, and they are unpopular. I believe that we should celebrate the victory we have achieved, but one should never celebrate death. All human life has an inherent worth, one it enters this world with, that may not be ignored. Those who squander their lives with evil deeds serve to show us how far we may tread from the righteous path. At least three places in the book of Ezekiel, the Lord tells us that He does not delight in the death of wicked men, and neither should we. As a friend of mine put it, one should mourn their life rather than celebrate their death.

In a related conversation, someone asked me if Christians should be soldiers; if the peaceful teachings of our Christ are contrary to the ways of a warrior. This was my response.

A warrior, a real one, mourns his enemies as well as he would any friend. He insists on taking non-violent measures to solve problems as often as he can, knowing that his martial prowess gives him an unfair advantage, as well as the fact that all life has an inherent meaning and worth in the eyes of their Creator. While he may kill, he does so when it is to defend the safety of others, or when there is no other choice. He will pray for his enemies, and seek for them to find the error of their ways before they find the point of his sword. If they do not, he will mourn their passing, briefly, and the fact that they have strayed so far from the good path. A true warrior despises war, but undertakes it so that it may ultimately come to an end--that peace may win out, and he will find himself unnecessary in the future...A warrior is a man of peace who willingly sacrifices his ability to achieve it for himself, so that others may know of it. Much like a doctor or a craftsman, he must unfortunately sometimes break a thing in order to fix it

In that regard, I don't believe the two are mutually exclusive. Your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I could not agree more. I said pretty much the same thing and got bombarded, yelled at and de-friended. As much as I understand how bad those who lost people, and those who are families/loved ones of a serving or fallen soldier, I still will not change my stance on it. God wants us to be Christ-like in ALL things. Who am I to pick and choose which of his teachings I want to follow, based on convenience of mine or other's feelings? A hypocrite, and a poor example, that's who. Call me crazy, but I just can't picture my Jesus dancing around singing, "Ding-Dong, the Witch is Dead". Rather, I picture him weeping for the lost opportunity, the life that was created, and the grief/strife and loss of lives of those who were taken by said life. Regardless of how poorly it was lived, his was still a life, created by God and precious in his eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. er, that's 'how bad those people feel'

    ReplyDelete