Monday, September 28, 2009

Beginnings.

Aristotle lies.

That's not entirely accurate, and yet it is. Please understand that I am not out to deny the philological aesthetics of Aristotelian logic. It's quite a marvelous system, really. It's simply that I believe he made an erroneous statement.

“One cannot say of something that it is and that it is not in the same respect and at the same time.”

I simply find this hard to believe. If I were to accept this Law of Non-Contradiction, I would cease to be. I am a man of conflicting beliefs that perfectly co-exist. I am a contradiction.

It is the goal of this weblog to prove, through my continued existence, that this is not an immutable law. Rather, it is a guideline to commonality, and I am simply one of the many exceptions.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you here. One of the main things I've been coming to terms with this summer was this exact point. Even if his point is true for logic (which by all means is not the only mode of decision-making by which we should live our life, the Vulcans have proven), nonetheless most of us don't get the luxury of time to sit and figure out a cohesive self before we make decisions, if a cohesive self is even possible. Thus, we shall remain a flurry of mixed, provisional parts.

    ReplyDelete